gold and platinum, translucent and painted enamel, glass paste, sapphires and diamonds
height 7.5 cm
The Goldsmith, chaser and engraver Edouard Husson is recorded as working from two addresses in Paris: 42 rue Sainte Anne and later 29 rue du 4 Septembre. His maker’s mark consisted of his name in letters in a horizontal lozenge. In February 1911, he was granted the autorisation de la garantie.
The particular combination of enamel colours on this handle – translucent emerald green and Prussian blue, applied over an intricately engine-turned ground – appears to have been favoured by Husson. Occasionally this pairing was further embellished with en grisaille painted cameos and diamond-set borders. Both Boucheron and Tiffany sold his elaborately conceived works.
Haydn Williams, Enamels of the World: 1700-2000 The Khalili Collections, London 2009, cat. 291, p. 411.