< Go Back to Collection
MTW 495
MTW 495

Candlestick

MTW 495

Egypt or Syria

15th century AD

MTW 495

Candlestick

MTW 495

Egypt or Syria

15th century AD

brass or copper alloy, with traces of inlay in black compound

39 x 27cm

The candlestick bears inscriptions in the name of an amir, Shadbak al-Ashrafi – a Mamluk in the service of a sultan whose throne-name (laqab) was al-Malik al-Ashraf – broken by roundels with tripartite blazons showing the penbox of a dawadar or secretary of state and two cups of a cup-bearer (saqi). A Shadbak al-Julbani, while en poste as Atabak of Damascus built a madrasah there in 1453, the inscription of which accords him the title of dawadar: He was buried there on his death in Jumada al-thani 887 (July–August 1482). To judge from the date of its foundation, his royal master must have been al-Malik al-Ashraf Barsbay (r 1422–1438).

J.M. Rogers, The Arts of Islam. Masterpieces from the Khalili Collection, London 2010, cat.223, pp.188–9.