presented by Darwish Mustafa al-Far to Abdel Moneim Muhammad Khallaf
35.5 x 17.5cm
The stones were gathered from Mecca, the valley of the battle of Badr, and Gar Hara’ (the cave of Hara’) in the Jabal al-Nur and Gar Thawr. These have been set into a pendant that were presented by the prominent Egyptian Geologist (and Director of the Egyptian Geological Museum) Darwish Mustafa al-Far (born 1925) to his teacher, the Egyptian scholar Abdel Moneim Muhammad Khallaf, as recorded in one of the two large inscribed plaques. The second plaque bears a Qur’anic verse referring to Gar Hara’ (Surat al-Tawbah, IX, verse 40).