quaternary copper alloy, cast, engraved, inlaid with silver and chased
4 x 26.5 x 6cm
The sides and top bear benedictory inscriptions in fine naskh. On the lid the decoration is completed by medallions and bands of scrolling arabesques. The fine workmanship so closely resembles that of an inlaid ewer in the Collection [see MTW 1549] as to suggest that they were made in the same workshop.
J.M. Rogers, The Arts of Islam. Masterpieces from the Khalili Collection, London 2010, cat.109, p.99.