Fragment from the Internal Kiswah of the Ka‘bah

silk lampas, with satin ground and twill pattern

   

45 x 35.5cm

This fragment comes from the internal kiswah presented by the Ottoman sultan ‘Abdülaziz (r. 1861–1876) in his first regnal year. It was the last internal kiswah to be sent by the Ottomans, and it remained there until 1936, when it was replaced by an Indian-made one.